Studio design squared worked alongside Kdpa as part of the professional consultant team on the creation of a new hotel at the Old Borough in Swords. Located on the 1st floor above the Wetherspoon’s pub it is the company’s first hotel in the republic of Ireland. The new Wetherspoon’s hotel comprises of double, twin, and family rooms along with accessible accommodation. The interior scheme is sympathetic to the age & style of the building, using vintage inspired choices and heritage tones as well as current trends that complement the history and period of the building. Artwork within the hotels rooms & hallways has been created by students at the nearby St Finian’s Community College.
This building first opened its doors in 1809 as the Borough National School. The interior of the well-known building has been much altered, but the exterior has changed little since it was designed by the noted Irish architect Francis Johnston. The school was free of charge to children of all denominations. It became known as the ‘Old Borough’, when the New Borough School was opened; the building being converted into a public house in 2000.